Sunday, April 15, 2012

Weekend round up

After 3 solid weeks of racing, (and getting my butt kicked!) I took this weekend off from racing and got in some lower intensity miles yesterday.  I was feeling pretty wasted from the last few weeks and had a sick daughter so a good night's rest was back burnered for a few nights as well.  I really wished I had made it to the Tour of the Depot, but by the entry deadline Friday, I was cooked and knew I wouldn't have had a good weekend of racing.

But there was plenty of action to take in, regardless.  As I said, locally, the Tour of the Depot took place in Tooele, UT with the weather holding off and providing racers with a great weekend for the 3 stage race.  Next on the UCA calendar is the East Canyon Road Race which I'll be racing on Saturday.

Pro cycling was a hoot to watch this weekend as well with Francisco Mancebo taking the Tour of the Battenkill and a surprise ending to the Amstel Gold Race.

However, the coolest news in pro cycling from the weekend was Brian Lopes taking the first ever World Cup Eliminator Cross Country race.  For those of my vintage (36 years old, BTW), Brian Lopes should be well known.  The guy is 40 and still winning world cups.  Amazing.  I remember reading about Brian Lopes when he was a BMX star and then moving onto MTB downhill, dual slalom and 4x.  He's pretty much won everything in those disciplines, including World Championships, and its inspiring to see him tackle another event with equal success.  He's been seen on the cyclocross course and even at a crit or two.  I only have a few pro cycling heroes and Brian Lopes is one of them.  As long as there's guys older than me winning at the top levels of their game, it gives me hope that age is just a number and I can keep improving.

For this week's blog I'll tackle some training issues and review the new Mercury alloy wheels I've been on for the last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment