Thursday, January 3, 2013

Tunnel Creek

Today's post really isn't my own.  But if you have 30 minutes or so, the link below is worth your time.

The story is of a dozen or so expert skiers and industry pros who, for various reasons, ignored or at least overlooked local avy conditions in the Stevens Pass backcountry.  Its a somber tale but with so many people, me included, earning their turns for a more wild experience, its good to be reminded of the dangers that lurk out there and we need to be smart and careful.  There's nothing wrong with erring on the side of caution and turning back.

The story comes out of the NY Times and is a few months old, but a friend just recently turned me on to the story after hearing me rave about how much I love the BC.  Wait for the story and animation to load.  Again, its a sad story, but one that should be told.

Tunnel Creek Avalanche

No comments:

Post a Comment