Thursday, May 1, 2014

I made my bed today

For the first time in who knows how long, I made my bed today.  I've just never been a bed maker.  I usually roll out of bed in the morning, poop, brush my teeth and head out the door.  I've always been that way.  I figured why make a bed that I will shortly just mess up again.

But recently, a good friend, who also keeps a pretty awesome training blog, told me making my bed would give me pep, so I figured, why not.  Who doesn't need more pep in their lives?  So, today I made my bed.

Its been over a year since I posted on this blog. What started out as a training blog for my attempt at a 10 hour LOTOJA morphed into more of a "blab about my own interests" blog.  But while I was at it, I reviewed some awesome equipment and posted some pretty cool videos.  It was a good exercise and I actually influenced the bike purchases of more than a few people.  I'm grateful that what I posted made a difference to at least some.  I was getting 1000 hits a week at times but about this time last year, life just became too busy and too complicated to spend much time blogging.

I spent most of the year supporting 2 teams, travelling to races all over the west and pouring my heart, soul and wallet into the bike races I promote.  But things started to crumble about September.  My marriage ended, sponsor money dried up, I gained 30 lbs and I pretty much hit an emotional and physical wall.  I had to take a step back, look deep inside and try to figure out what and who I really wanted to be.

In that discovery, I found that there's a lot about myself I like, but also so much I needed to change.  My priorities had gone all out of whack.  I was spreading myself too thin and in the process figured out I was putting too much quantity and not enough quality into my endeavors.  I had experiences I wouldn't trade for the world but I also needed to simplify my life.  And now its time for a comeback!!

So here I am, ready to write again.  I think this blog will morph back into my training journal...my accountability to perform at my best and a way to share what it takes to achieve my goals.  This is therapeutic for me and maybe it will be for those who read it too.  When I was prepping for LOTOJA in 2011, it seemed one or two people found my insights and training helpful for them.  I hope that happens again.

I've turned a corner.  I've changed little things in my life to improve myself as an athlete, a father and as a human.  I even started to make my bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment